Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Turns out there is Heaven on Earth

View from a hammock.
View from my bungalow.
I went on a 4 mile hike and saw one other person the entire time. This beach was amazing!


Well, I made it to the island. It was a long miserable trip, but it was definitely worth it! This place could not be anymore beautiful and its all really cheap. I am staying in a great little bungalow right on the edge of the beach and my "resort" has a big bar and restraint overlooking the ocean. Blue water and white sand....damn I wish I was doing some reinsurance right now. haha There are some down sides, its all tourists and its seems like I am the only solo traveler here. Everyone else is in big groups or couples. Plus it seems there is a game amongst "travelers" in which they just want to one-up everyone with the remote area/beach that they've been to. They all speak at eachother and no one listens. Which has brought something to my attention: there is a difference between traveling and vacationing. I feel that coming the island has turned me into a vacationer, which is fine, but I kinda miss the grittiness of the city or the confusion of Japan, however I am SO relaxed. It reminds me of the movie Bottle Rocket, when he says "i woke up one morning, i couldn't decide if i wanted to go waterskiing or not...then i thought, i don't ever want to have to decide about another watersport again in my life...." you get the point, i think? My internet is hit or miss here...so i'll upload pics if i get a chance.

7 Comments:

Blogger fakeplastic said...

That's an interesting and thoughtful distinction you make between the traveller and the vacationer. I think it's a slippery slope, though: travelling is still a luxury. I wonder if the residents of the countries you're visiting see these as different things?

11:45 PM  
Blogger Kraemerica said...

Amelia- great point. i think that the residents of other countries see it differently in that they charge you 2x what a resident would pay and have all of these businesses setup to meet your needs as a westerner. for example, in bangkok, i was buying the same things that residents were and staying in the same areas.

April E. - I realize that was a low blow to my reinsurance friends. If not for reinsurance...I wouldn't be able to do a trip like this!

8:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There are far too many exclamation points in this blog. I don't really see what the big deal is. I think we've all heard of Japan and Bangkok before, Nick. Way to be a show-off.

From what I've seen in this documentary (I forget what it's called) about the Occident, don't drink any snake blood. Otherwise, you have to hang out with Leonardo DiCaprio and pretend you're in a video game for like, two hours. But it feels like its four hours!!!

Keep up the good work. Writing is good for the soul. Or at least good to kill time reading at work.

3:01 PM  
Blogger Kraemerica said...

angel moroni- we need to come up with an actual theme this year and i am definitely back in time

sean- your sarcasm as been dearly missed. you are always on my back about my puncuation.

10:23 PM  
Blogger m said...

Wow, this looks like paradise...

6:26 AM  
Blogger Slurry B said...

I would like to have a Labor Day boat parade this September. I've already been coming up with some great themes and I'll be narrowing them down in the next month or so. Here are a few: "The Love Pontoon", "Total Eclipse of the Boat", and "Don't Worry, Be Happy". Okay, they suck so far but I'll come through on this-I'm a results man. Your job is to make sure that beautiful ponton of your is in top condition for Labor Day weekend.

7:23 AM  
Blogger Kraemerica said...

slurry b- i don't know if you heard, but there were some improvements made to leisure island in the off-season; new steering and the installation of cup holders, so my end of the deal is done.

5:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home