Sunday, June 04, 2006

Planes, trains and escalators

Kraemer Roll-Offs Temple.
Cemetery.My new dutch friend.
Me, hungover at the Golden Temple. Zen Rock Garden.


n and I have some great pictures that I'm not able to post from this computer. I hiked around the city and saw a bunch of the famous temples and gardens, several World Heritage Sites. Then, I met a crazy dutch guy staying only a few mats down at the guest house. We went out on the town in Kyoto thinking there wouldn't be much going on, but with a population of 1.2 million, we were proven wrong. It was nice being able to speak english with someone and he was at the same kind of point in his life (trying to figure shit out). One too many sakis lead to a late start the next morning. I checked out the Golden Temple, probably the most recognized, a killer zen rock garden and then caught a train to Tottori to visit a friend from college. It was great hanging out with my buddy, he has been teaching japanese for 3 years and is headed back to the states in July. He is going to Harvard for a Masters/PHD in Asian Religious Studies, not bad. Anyway, he lives on the other side of the country from the airport and I have had a horrendous day of travel: two hours on a commuter train, 4 hours on the bullet train, one hour on the subway, and now boarding a plane for 6 hours to Bangkok. I am really stoked to get into Bangkok. The plan is to chill (if thats possible in bangkok) for a couple days and setup some travel to the beaches. I have alot of mixed feelings about Japan, that I don't have time/energy to explain right now, but its a country of contrast. Just when you think you have it figured out, you are slapped upside the head with something completely different. All of the travel, has me feeling a bit homesick today and at the same time I feel really lucky to be able to have an experience like this...

3 Comments:

Blogger fakeplastic said...

I just keep wanting to ask you if any of those Kyotans were pissed at you because your country ignored their protocol, so I'll get that one out of the way right now.

Now, as for you feeling homesick, think of this: It was a gorgeous day today, 80 degrees with a nice cool breeze. Wonderful indoors and out. Would have been perfect for a visit to Leisure Island. Wait. That might not help. Hmmmmmm... There aren't many trains here. And few Dutch people. Certainly a paucity of temples and rock gardens. How do you feel now?

6:06 PM  
Blogger m said...

'Freaky deaky' Dutch guy? Did he want to make out with you or something? Please expand.

6:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ha i forgot about that picture! Good one! That was one funny night! To bad we didnt take a picture of the sake bar. And the blisters on my hand from the drum-game are not even healed yet!

12:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home