Thursday, June 01, 2006

We are living in the future

Last night, I hit up the Shinjuku district where the "nightlife" exists and it was cRazy. There are over 2 million people passing through that area everyday, so in true Japanese style it's filled with lights and noises. Also, its filled with drunken businessman and prostitutes. I got harassed the entire time I was there. By the end of the evening, I was really tired and ended up getting lost. Eventually I found my way and had to take a different subway back. Well, unknown to me the f'in subway shuts down at midnight! So, I was stuck walking nearly 4 miles back to my hostel. Now, 4 miles Tokyo is a long, long way. By the time I got back at 2:30am, I was not in the best of moods.


I spent most of the morning in bed, sleeping off the disaster of an evening. Then, I decided that I would do the special Nick Kraemer Super Happy Fun Time sight seeing tour of Tokyo Bay. First, I checked out the fish market, which was enormous, but not at all exciting. Tokyo Bay is home to many of the superskyscrapers in which people live/work/eat etc etc. I had lunch at the Shiodome, which is one of the largest of these superskyscrapers. Then I hit up the new rail line that takes you to the coney island of tokyo. Shiodome.


Rainbow Bridge

Then onto the Fuji TV building. It was the strangest building I have ever, ever seen. At first, I thought it was beautiful, but after awhile I wasn't a fan. While sitting outside the building enjoying the breeze off of the ocean and listening to some John Prine, a group of 10 school girls came up to me and wanted a picture with me. It made my day, they were squealing and making all of these weird noises...it was quite funny to have John Prine in the background on my headphones during all of it!

Tonight, I am going to get a bunch of beers at the local store and chill at the hostel to save up energy for tomorrow. I am headed to Kyoto for the next couple days, to check out some temples and onsen (hot springs). Finally, I got a hold of my friend, Ethan, who has been living in Japan since we graduated, however he lives on the other side of Japan (near osaka), so it might be tough to meetup. I am excited about the possibility of having someone who speaks Japanese show me around, because it seems that NO ONE here speaks any English. Many of my days are spent in silence or with my Ipod rockin' (btw-do yourself a favor and get the new Walkmen album)

3 Comments:

Blogger fakeplastic said...

This is how I know: I read it in the paper, fifteen years ago.

It's a pretty f*cking lonely feeling to have no one to talk to. I sugget writing stories to maintain sanity. E.g., this blog, of course.

Have fun at the temples. I want to see lots of spectacular pictures.

4:53 AM  
Blogger m said...

School girls wanted their picture taken with you, eh? Talk about an ego boost!

Oh, and I can relate to having no one to talk to...Iceland for 5 months was kind of like that. FIVE MONTHS. Blech.

11:45 AM  
Blogger Kraemerica said...

Amelia, so perceptive on the John Prine reference. I've been trying to keep a journal to stay sane, it helps.

Mindy, well its not that different than home (the schoolgirls and all).

3:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home